Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Kings and Queens talk about the encounters of the past 10 years (only included the part about Hacken)





July 2, 2007


TVB Weekly Issue 523


Hacken Lee: A model for the people of Hong Kong

When Hong Kong reunified with China, Hacken Lee was 29 and going on to 30 years old. After releasing his album "Beside Hacken" in the same year, there was no surge in his singing career and no release date of his new album. 10 years later, with the spirit of the Hong Kong People, he received the most welcomed male singer award for 3 times. He also has a Miss HK as his wife. This is another story of hard work and triumph.

10 years ago: Happy though worried

That day, I was performing for the reunification show. I was there to participate in the actual event. When I turned on the TV at home, I saw the flag rising ceremony and felt complicated, happy, and confused. I was worried but still happy. In 10 years, I tasted the change of the times. It need not has to be the appearance of the society, but it is a heartfelt change. There is no longer “Hong Kong people”, I identified myself with China. Just like when I watched England matches last time, I felt bounded. Next year when I watch the Olympics, I will support the national team.

The major events in these 10 years:
Receiving the most welcomed singer award for 3 times


It has got to be receiving the most welcomed singer award! I remember receiving it for the first time in 2002, I fulfilled my wish. This ultimate goal, I think every singer hopes to get this award at least once! It’s a sense of accomplishment and acknowledgement from my career. After that, I received it in 2003 and 2005. That gave me different meanings and encouragement.

The highest point in 10 years: A hard decision

I will choose the SARS incident. Besides the fact that is affected Hong Kong deeply, I was faced with a tough decision during that time too. The second part of my concert with Alan was about to take place, and everybody was discussing whether to postpone it or stick to the original plan. Everyone was under tremendous stress. After all, we had to face our bosses and money matters, as well as the health of the general public. I remember that 4 days before we were going to perform, we decided to postpone the concert. Looking back, it was a wise decision.

Hopes in the next 10 years: Becoming democratic

I hope that democracy will appear in Hong Kong in the next 10 years. I feel that we should have a democratic society. Besides this, everyone should take a greater role (in helping) the environment. It is evident that our environment is becoming worse, especially the air. I hope that the Hong Kong government will act like the governments of Korea and Japan; to grow plants at the balconies. Also, as citizens, we should learn to conserve. Such as switching off the lights, air conditioners, computers and so on. We should cut down on the use of our resources.

[Source: http://www.leehacken.com/magazines/2007/20070702_tvb_523.htm]
[translated by Hianez, edited by Kate]

No comments: